Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is basically my Mom's stroganoff recipe from years ago. I have added a few touches of my own. This is the way we love it!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, cut into thin strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 pinch dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream (light is fine)
- Slice the steak. This is easiest if it is partly frozen.
- Coat with flour and brown in oil.
- Remove the steak and saute the onions until caramelized. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are browned.
- Add the broth and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the steak back and then add the mustard, ketchup, paprika, dill, and wine (if using).
- Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Just before serving add the sour cream and heat without boiling. Serve with noodles.