There are hundreds of recipes for beef stroganoff, but this one is my favourite. It does not contain canned soups or tomato paste like so many others. For a special occasion, I like to add a splash of vodka! This is an adaption of a recipe that appeared in The Age newspaper in August 2007. It was devised by chef Cindy Sargon
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 800 g eye fillet beef (or other tender beef cut)
- 50 g butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground paprika (use a combo of hot and sweet)
- 350 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (rounded tsp)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 300 ml light sour cream
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- vodka (or cognac) (optional)
- fresh parsley, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1Slice beef into strips 1 cm wide.
- 2Melt the butter in a deep, heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft.
- 3Add combined paprika powder and cook, stirring, a couple of minutes, being careful not to let the onion brown.
- 4Add mushrooms and nutmeg and cook a further 3 to 5 minutes. Remove contents from pan and set aside. Add a splash of water, stock, vodka or cognac to deglaze pan, and pour liquid over mushrooms.
- 5Return pan to heat and add half the olive oil. Cook beef in batches over high heat, adding more oil as necessary - seal and caramelise the beef rather than stewing it. Remove beef and set aside.
- 6Return mushrooms and liquid, and onion mixture to pan, pour in sour cream and simmer for a minute until it is hot and starts to reduce.
- 7Return beef to pan with lemon juice and some parsley.
- 8Season with salt, pepper and a dash more nutmeg, to taste (and as desired).
- 9Serve immediately with noodles or rice.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stroganoff
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 565.6
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 168.2 mg
- Sodium 242.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 49.4 g