Recipe by Fat Doggin'
I grew up choking down stroganoff. My DH loves it so I would sometimes make it for him and something else for myself. I decided to try a different recipe that didn't use any of the cream of soups. The first time I tried this one was the first time I loved stroganoff. Prep and cooking times are just guesses.
- 2 lbs filet of beef
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons grated onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut filet of beef into thin strips, sprinkle them generously with salt and pepper, and let them stand for 2 hours in a cool place or in the refrigerator.
- Blend flour with 2 Tbs butter in a saucepan over low heat until the roux bubbles and is smooth. Gradually stir in beef stock and cook the mixture until it begins to thicken. Boil it for 2 minutes. Add sour cream alternately with tomato juice or paste, stirring constantly. Simmer the sauce very gently, without boiling it.
- Saute the strips of beef in a skillet in 3 Tbs grated onion. Add the contents of the skillet to the sauce, taste for seasoning, and simmer the meat gently without boiling, for 20 minutes.