Recipe by bayousong
This is one of our favorites. You can also use canned mushrooms.
Top Review by Auvan
This was pretty good. I'll probably make it again. It was just a little bit on the bland side for me. Next time I'll probably add some additional spices or something for a little more flavor. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 20 ounces sirloin steaks, cubed
- 1⁄2-1 cup flour
- 14 ounces beef stock or 14 ounces beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Put enough flour to dredge the meat cubes into a plastic ziplock.
- Season with salt and pepperand adding a few cubes at a time, shake to coat.
- Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven.
- Add meat in batches and brown.
- Remove meat and add mushrooms.
- Adding more butter or oil if needed, saute a minute or two, then add onions.
- Saute until onions are transparent.
- Remove from pan.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons leftover flour and make a medium brown roux.
- (This step is optional, but we like it this way.).
- Add meat, mushrooms and onion back to the pan.
- Add beef broth, worcestershire sauce, pepper and 1/2 of the sour cream.
- Taste for salt and add if needed.
- Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- The sour cream may separate but this is normal.
- Just before serving, add the last half of the sour cream.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
- OPTIONS: Substitute red or white wine for some of the broth.
- Leave out the worcestershire sauce and add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried dill.