Recipe by me & alex
What's left of a Russian recipe from those old Time-Life books. My mom started making it years ago. I've continued the tradition by changing it even more! I like it with a bite and a little more saucy...
Top Review by Bert's Kitchen Witch
I have always made Beef Stroganoff the same way as my Mom did. This recipe has changed that! My DH, rather sheepishly, said that he did'nt want to hurt my feelings but this was even better than mine. It didn't hurt my feelings at all, because I so agree!Thanks Cheri! This will be the ONLY way I make it from now on!
- 3 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic
- 2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 2 lbs beef, sliced into strips
- 1 -1 1⁄2 pint sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- make a paste with dry mustard, 1 1/2t sugar, salt and water (just enough water to make a thick paste) set aside. Use less mustard for more mild sauce. This is 'tangy'!
- Heat 1-2 T oil and saute the onions, mushrooms and garlic. Drain, set aside.
- In 2 batches, cook the beef in the rest of the oil. I prefer the beef to be rare, so I just sear it -but cook longer,as you like.
- Stir in the pepper and the mustard paste.
- Add sour cream, stir well. Add more sour cream if you like more sauce (I do).
- Add remaining sugar.
- Cook over low heat 5-10 minutes.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice.