Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is wonderful when you have family that is always late. You can put almost anything you have in your kitchen in it and it will still come out okay. Can also be made by putting all ingredients in crock pot on low for at least 8 hrs.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat (tenderized works best)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 jar mushroom
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 container sour cream, divided
- white wine (as needed for taste)
- Worcestershire sauce (as needed for taste)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- milk (if needed)
- flour (if needed)
- cooked egg noodles
- Heat butter in large skillet.
- Add stew meat, cook on med heat until browned stirring often.
- Take meat out of skillet and set aside.
- Add onion and saute in the butter until almost clear.
- Add mushrooms, and cook until onion is clear.
- Put meat back into pan, add cream of mushroom soup, wine, worstichire sauce, garlic and pepper.
- Stir constantly until soup turns to liquid.
- Decrease heat to Low, cover and simmer.
- This can simmer for 10 min to 4 hrs depending on taste.
- You can add flour to thicken it or milk to thin it out as needed.
- When almost finished at half of the tub of sour cream.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles with the remainder of the sour cream as a topping.
I've been making this version for years as it was the way my mom used to make it and was our favorite! I use eye of the round steak cut up and brown the meat and onions together in about a Tbsp of olive oil rather then the butter, use a half pound of fresh mushrooms and no white wine. I use a 16 ounce container of light sour cream, mixing it well with the soup and Worcestershire sauce before adding to the beef and let it simmer at least 2 hours so the meat is fall apart tender and the flavors meld. This is a delicious recipe and very easy to put together! Its really good over mashed potatoes or white rice too! Thanks for sharing!
Wow! This is just like my mother used to make it. I made mine in the crockpot while I was at work.... so easy! My husband and my daughter don't like mushrooms, so I mixed mine in later. I also added less onion and more onion powder just because my daughter would be picking out the pieces all night! Thanks for a great recipe!
This was so easy and DELICIOUS! My 9 y/o daughter helped me out with the whole dish, served it up with corn bread and we all went back for seconds. Definitely keeping this one on hand!