Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
This is a classic slow cooker recipe. One of my wifes favorites.
Make and share this Beef Stroganoff recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef (lean stew meat)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth (can use bouillon, watch your salt)
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 water
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Cut up stew meat. Heat oil in a large skillet until very hot. Brown meat in batches. Drain.
- In a 4 quart slow cooker place mushrooms, onions, garlic, oregano, salt, thyme, pepper, and bay leaf. Add meat. Pour beef broth and sherry over it. Cook on low setting for 8-10 hour or high setting for 4-5 (I prefer to use low setting whereever possible). Remove bay leaf.
- If using low setting, turn to high. In a bowl whisk sour cream, flour, and water until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the hot liquid from the crock pot into the sour cream mixture. Add it all back into the cooker and stir. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice.