Recipe by bunnylove in NEW ENGLAND
I wanted a recipe for round steak strips, but did not want a stroganoff or stir fry type recipe. i just kind of threw this together with what i had. i was planning on doing a pan fried steak, corn on cob and baked potato, but got home late from work, and just wanted something i could do in my electric skillet. this is what i came up with. let me know what you think, be honest, and any suggestions for improvement. all measures are approximate, like i said i just threw together at last minute, this served me and my husband, with one lunch serving leftover. we had texas toast with this. some optional ingredients are included, we found this quite tasty and very filling. it was also very easy and quick, which i need at times, as i have an hour and a half commute each way to work everyday, and hubby just does not and can not cook.
Top Review by loof
This is a great, simple, quick-to-the-table meal! I used fresh zucchini instead of canned, so I did use the optional wine (about 1/4 cup) to make up the needed liquid. The meat was very tender and the sauce was delicious. Served as-is (no noodles) and really enjoyed this - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2011
- 2 small round steaks, approximate 1/2 to 3/4 pound, cut in strips
- 1 (15 ounce) can zucchini, in italian style sauce (I used del monte)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic (i used jarred for convenience)
- salt, pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper
- diced onion, was considering using, but did not
- egg noodles
- 8 ounces water, if mixture too thick
- 1⁄4 cup wine, if desired it was what I had, not necessary, can also use beef broth id desired (I used a zinfandel, i did not use)
Directions See How It's Made
- In electric skillet or frying pan brown beef strips (can use pam spray, i did not use).
- when browned add seasonings.
- add canned zucchini and tomatoes.
- simmer ( i left mine for 30 minutes in electric skillet) can be put on low and left to simmer, only melds flavors.
- stir occasionally.
- meanwhile cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- add small amount of water to beef mixture if needed.
- drain egg noodles.
- serve beef mixture over egg noodles with juice.