Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
From 'The Irish Pub Cookbook' by Margaret M. Johnson.
- 4 lbs beef shanks or 4 lbs beef short ribs
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 4 quarts cold water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bouquet garni (containing 3 sprigs fresh parsley, 1 sprig fresh thyme, and 1 bay leaf)
- Put the oven rack in the middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large roasting pan, combine the beef shanks or ribs, onion, and carrot.
- Roast, turning 2 to 3 times. for about 1 hour, or until the bones and vegetables are browned.
- Transfer the meat and vegetables to a large stockpot.
- Add 2 cups of water to the roasting pan and deglaze by boiling over high heat and stirring and scraping up the browned bits with a wooden spoon for 1 minute.
- Add the deglazing liquid to the stockpot along with the remaining water, the celery, salt, and bouquet garni.
- Bring to a boil, and skim any foam that raises to the top.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Strain the stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and let cool.
- Refrigerate for several hours, remove the congealed fat, the cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.