2 hrs 35 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Charlotte J's Note:
From 'The Irish Pub Cookbook' by Margaret M. Johnson.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the oven rack in the middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2In a large roasting pan, combine the beef shanks or ribs, onion, and carrot.
- 3Roast, turning 2 to 3 times. for about 1 hour, or until the bones and vegetables are browned.
- 4Transfer the meat and vegetables to a large stockpot.
- 5Add 2 cups of water to the roasting pan and deglaze by boiling over high heat and stirring and scraping up the browned bits with a wooden spoon for 1 minute.
- 6Add the deglazing liquid to the stockpot along with the remaining water, the celery, salt, and bouquet garni.
- 7Bring to a boil, and skim any foam that raises to the top.
- 8Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 9Strain the stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and let cool.
- 10Refrigerate for several hours, remove the congealed fat, the cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stock
Serving Size: 1 (4159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 15.7
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 464.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 0.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: