Recipe by Ewokchef
Beef Stock Recipe Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse Show: Emeril Live Episode: Soup N' Sandwich
- 7 lbs beef bones, sawed into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 cups claret wine
- 20 peppercorns
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 1⁄2 gallons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the bones on a roasting pan and roast for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and brush with the tomato paste. Lay the vegetables over the bones.
- Return to the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Place the pan on the stove and deglaze with the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan for browned particles.
- Put this mixture in a large stock pot. Add the peppercorns, garlic, and herbs. Season with salt. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 4 hours. Remove from the heat and skim off any fat that has risen to the surface. Strain the liquid and discard the bones.