Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Strong and deeply flavoured, the best base for many recipes. This is almost sodium free. Prep time doesn't include overnight chill time.
- 2 lbs beef bones (large, cracked)
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive, veg, canola)
- 1 large onion, quartered with skin
- 2 stalks celery, long with tops cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, in 1-inch pieces
- 1 bouquet garni (1 bay leave,1 tsp thyme,6 peppercorns, 2 cloves, 2 tsp parsley in cheeesecloth)
- 3 quarts cold water
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Rub tomato-paste generously over the beef bones.
- Roast the bones in the oven for 30 min until browned.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, add oil and sauté onions, celery and carrot for 5 minute
- Add roasted bones and remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Skim off any foam, that rises.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently uncovered for 2-3 hours.
- Add a few cups of water if necessary.
- Let reduce 1/4 of the stock, so 3/4 of the starting liquid are left at this stage.
- Strain through a sieve and cheesecloth or damp dishtowel and return to a smaller pot, cool. (Stock should be almost clear).
- Reduce another 1/4 of the stock, so that only 1/2 of the starting liquid are left by now.
- Chill overnight in fridge.
- Remove top layer of solidified fat completely.
- Remove gelled stock carefully into new pot, leave any remaining residue on the bottom of the old pot behind.
- If the stock is not clear, but needs to be for you recipe, bring to a simmer and add 1 egg white.
- Stir constantly and skim the solidifying egg white off the top; it should have cleared the stock.
- Use according to suggestions in your recipe.
Excellent and well written! Although this recipe is NOT part of ZWT5 I needed some beef stock to make Recipe#268870 and so glad I found this. I did add an extra carrot only b/c I had just 1 left. I did take the skins off my onions though. Merci txzuckerbaeckerin for sharing! It yielded me 5 cups of beef stock.