3 hrs 40 mins
Strong and deeply flavoured, the best base for many recipes. This is almost sodium free. Prep time doesn't include overnight chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef bones (large, cracked)
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive, veg, canola)
- 1 large onion, quartered with skin
- 2 stalks celery, long with tops cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, in 1-inch pieces
- 1 bouquet garni (1 bay leave,1 tsp thyme,6 peppercorns, 2 cloves, 2 tsp parsley in cheeesecloth)
- 3 quarts cold water
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F Rub tomato-paste generously over the beef bones.
- 2Roast the bones in the oven for 30 min until browned.
- 3In a large stockpot over medium heat, add oil and sauté onions, celery and carrot for 5 minute
- 4Add roasted bones and remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- 5Skim off any foam, that rises.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer gently uncovered for 2-3 hours.
- 7Add a few cups of water if necessary.
- 8Let reduce 1/4 of the stock, so 3/4 of the starting liquid are left at this stage.
- 9Strain through a sieve and cheesecloth or damp dishtowel and return to a smaller pot, cool. (Stock should be almost clear).
- 10Reduce another 1/4 of the stock, so that only 1/2 of the starting liquid are left by now.
- 11Chill overnight in fridge.
- 12Remove top layer of solidified fat completely.
- 13Remove gelled stock carefully into new pot, leave any remaining residue on the bottom of the old pot behind.
- 14If the stock is not clear, but needs to be for you recipe, bring to a simmer and add 1 egg white.
- 15Stir constantly and skim the solidifying egg white off the top; it should have cleared the stock.
- 16Use according to suggestions in your recipe.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stock
Serving Size: 1 (3344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.4
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 751.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 18.8 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: