Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
"A thick Oriental sauce coats these tender beef and veggie kabobs that are served over rice. They're loaded with flavor and always a hit." By Fwendolyn Lambert. From TOH.
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups large fresh broccoli florets
- 2 medium summer squash, cut into 3/4 inch slices
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb beef tenderloin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- hot cooked rice
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, water, oil, soy sauce, garlic and pepper flakes.
- On four metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread the broccoli, squash, red pepper and beef. Brush with 1/3 cup of glaze. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness and vegetables are tender, basting once with remaining glaze. Serve with rice.
The sauce flavor was fabulous, but I think needs to be a marinade rather than just a brush on- for the meat anyways. My favorite part was actually the broccoli and may redo this recipe with just the broccoli and sauce. Oh- and make sure to reserve some sauce for dipping.