Recipe by Wineaux
Now's the time to start watching the grocery ads for whole sirloin tip roasts. They usually weigh about 10 pounds, so the cost of making the beef sticks is minimized considerably if you can find a deal on the sirloin. These make great gifts, when presented with a small jar of homemade mustard and a pack of hamemade crackers! Buy the roast, have the butcher trim all the fat and grind into hamburger. Package the meat and freeze until holiday season, if you wish. The liquid smoke is optional, but if you use it, go easy - a little is a lot, with this ingredient. Makes 10 beef sticks
- 10 lbs sirloin tip steaks, fat trimmed and ground into hamburger
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 -4 tablespoons peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix meat and remaining ingredients thoroughly.
- Divide into 1-pound portions and shape into logs.
- Wrap each log in culinary cheesecloth, securing ends with twist ties.
- Place on racks over jelly roll plan and bake at 325 degrees for about 2 hours, until firm.
- Remove cheesecloth and wrap sticks in aluminum foil.
- Serve thinly sliced on crackers or party rye or pumpernickel with spicy mustard.