Recipe by Barb G.
Cinnamon is the secert ingredient in this hearty beef stew. It is marinated overnight and cooked in the oven. Marinating time is not included in prep time. The recipe comes from Prevention magazine.
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
This is a wonderful, hearty stew. I made it and took the lot of it to work for a pot-luck. I used beef broth which is enhanced by the flavor of the red wine. I prepared everything ahead of time according to your recipe except for adding the spinach. I heated up the stew in the crockpot at work, then added the spinach. Turned out perfectly. The cinnamon gave a unique and delicious flavor. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
- 3⁄4 lb well-trimed beef, cut into 1 inch cubs
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups beef broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 medium onions, each cut into 6 wedges
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (6 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- In a resealable bag, Combine the beef, wine, garlic, thyme, cinnamon and pepper.
- Seal and marinate in the refrigerator over night.
- The next day, Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Pleace the meat mixture, broth, onions and tomatoes,with juice,in a dutch oven.
- Place over high and bring to boil.
- Cover, and PLACE IN OVEN.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Stir in squash, cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven, and stir in the spinach until it is wilted.