Recipe by bmxmama
This is another winner from my old and trusty Bon Appetit magazine. I love this stew. And it's really easy to modify for your own tastes (which I have) I like potatoes in my stew, so I modified it to add them. I usually throw this all in a crock pot after I brown the beef. It makes a really delicious easy dinner or left over lunch. *Cooking times are approximate*
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into into small pieces of your desire
- 5 lbs beef chuck, trimmed of fat and cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (more may be needed)
- 2 lbs onions, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth (or homemade, preferably)
- 3 cups dark beer
- 1 1⁄2 lbs baby carrots, washed
- 1⁄2 lb parsnip, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 lb small baby potatoes, halved
- 3⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in medium pot over medium high heat until brown and crisp, about 6 or so minutes.
- Remove bacon using a slotted spoon to a paper towel, to drain.
- Pour off all but 1/4 cup of the drippings from the pot and remove from heat.
- Place beef in large bowl.
- Sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Heat reserved drippings in pot over high heat.
- Working in batches, add beef and brown well.
- Adding oil by tablespoon as needed.
- Transfer beef to crock pot after each batch until finished.
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in the same pot over high heat.
- Add onions and garlic: saute 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar and sugar; stir for 2 minutes.
- Add broth; bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits.
- Add broth mixture to crock pot.
- Add bacon and remaining ingredients to crock pot.
- Set crock pot for 5-6 hours and let it cook!
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.