1/1 Photo of Beef Stew With Tomatoes and Rice
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
From Low Fat One Dish Meals from Around the World, posted for ZWT III, France. "This dish comes from the western Meditteranean corner of France", according to the cookbook. Depending on how you look at it, this is a really wet casserole or a very thick stew. I like it with a bit of crushed red pepper mixed in.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bacon (or turkey bacon)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs lean top round steaks, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups beef stock, as needed
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1In a heavy dutch oven with a lid, fry the bacon over medium heat till just cooked. Drain and cut into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- 2Pour off any excess fat from the pot, add the oil and warm it over medium high heat.
- 3Add the meat and cook it till browned.
- 4Reduce heat to medium, stir in the onion and brown it slightly.
- 5Remove the meat and onion to a large platter.
- 6In the oil in the same pot, add the rice and cook, stirring over medium heat till it turns a milky color (about 3 minutes).
- 7Spoon rice into a bowl and set aside.
- 8Pour any remaining oil out of the pot, add the water and stir for a moment to dissolve the juices.
- 9Add the wine, stir, then return the meat and onion to the pot.
- 10Pour in the stock almost to the height of the meat and salt it lightly.
- 11Add the carrot, celery, pepper, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and reserved bacon.
- 12Bring to a simmer, cover tightly and simmer slowly for 1 hour.
- 13Stir in the chopped tomato and simmer till the meat is fork tender (1 hour or more). Drain off the cooking liquid and add stock or water to make 2 1/2 cups.
- 14Return the liquid to the pot and bring to a boil.
- 15Stir in the reserved rice, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, without stirring.
- 16The rice should be tender and have absorbed almost all the liquid.
- 17Taste and correct seasonings.
- 18Just before serving, fold in the grated cheese.
- 19Serve from the pot.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stew With Tomatoes and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (462 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.5
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 81.6 mg
- Sodium 683.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 33.3 g