Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Epicurious. We love anything with Hoisin Sauce and this was delicious.
Make and share this Beef Stew With Red Wine and Hoisin Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups cabernet sauvignon wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce (*)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb slender carrot, peeled, cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Add meat to pot; sauté until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Push meat to sides of pot. Reduce heat to medium; add 2 tablespoons oil to pot.
- Add onions; sauté until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Mix meat into onions.
- Add 1 cup wine, tomatoes with juices, hoisin sauce, and bay leaves. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots and 1 cup wine. Cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover, increase heat to high; boil until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes longer.
- Reduce heat to medium, add cornstarch mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. Season stew with salt and pepper.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before serving, stirring occasionally.) Transfer stew to large bowl. Sprinkle with parsley; serve.
I made it for my family and for a meal "delivery". Everyone loved it! It was a a little bit salty for me, but I served it with plain boiled potatoes and that balanced out the flavor.
Thanks for this recipe. I too love the taste of Hoisin Sauce. 5 Star recipe for sure.