Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Epicurious. We love anything with Hoisin Sauce and this was delicious.
Make and share this Beef Stew With Red Wine and Hoisin Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups cabernet sauvignon wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce (*)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb slender carrot, peeled, cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Add meat to pot; sauté until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Push meat to sides of pot. Reduce heat to medium; add 2 tablespoons oil to pot.
- Add onions; sauté until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Mix meat into onions.
- Add 1 cup wine, tomatoes with juices, hoisin sauce, and bay leaves. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots and 1 cup wine. Cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover, increase heat to high; boil until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes longer.
- Reduce heat to medium, add cornstarch mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. Season stew with salt and pepper.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before serving, stirring occasionally.) Transfer stew to large bowl. Sprinkle with parsley; serve.