2 hrs 10 mins
Wendys Kitchen's Note:
From Epicurious. We love anything with Hoisin Sauce and this was delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups cabernet sauvignon wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce (*)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb slender carrot, peeled, cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Add meat to pot; sauté until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- 2Push meat to sides of pot. Reduce heat to medium; add 2 tablespoons oil to pot.
- 3Add onions; sauté until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Mix meat into onions.
- 4Add 1 cup wine, tomatoes with juices, hoisin sauce, and bay leaves. Bring to boil.
- 5Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add carrots and 1 cup wine. Cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Uncover, increase heat to high; boil until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes longer.
- 8Reduce heat to medium, add cornstarch mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- 9Discard bay leaves. Season stew with salt and pepper.
- 10(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before serving, stirring occasionally.) Transfer stew to large bowl. Sprinkle with parsley; serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stew With Red Wine and Hoisin Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (615 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 959.8
- Calories from Fat 556
- Total Fat 61.8 g
- Saturated Fat 22.3 g
- Cholesterol 183.2 mg
- Sodium 705.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 51.5 g