Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Very simple stew that can be cooked on the stove. You can even prepare the stew through step 3 and then refrigerate, covered, for up the three days! Stews always taste better the next day anyway.
- 3 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add half of the meat. Cook, turning, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large plate. Repeat with remaining meat, adding additional oil if necessary.
- Add onions to Dutch oven; cook, stirring, until almost softened, 4-5 minutes. Lower heat to medium. Add garlic; cook, stirring 30 seconds. Stir in flour; cook, stirring until lightly colored, 1-2 minutes. Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits. Add beef broth, bay leaves and thyme; heat mixture to a simmer. Add browned meat and any juices; heat to a simmer. Cover; place in the oven; cook until meat is nearly tender, 2-2 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots and potatoes, return to oven. Cook until vegetables are tender, 30-45 minutes. Stir in frozen peas; cook 5 minutes. Stir in parsley just before serving.