Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From The Orchid at Mauna Lani, Big Island, HI. I've eaten there several times and their food is awesome. Can't wait to give this a try.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 8 cups beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup diced tomato, drained
- 1⁄4 cup crushed tomatoes, canned
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup celery, 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup taro root, 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup daikon radish, 1-inch cubes (Japanese white radish)
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over high heat.
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, add to pot and saute until browned on all side, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer beef to bowl.
- Add 2 cups onions to same pot; saute 2 minutes.
- Add garlic; saute 1 minute.
- Add wine; boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Return beef and any accumulated juices to pot.
- Add broth and next 6 ingredients; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add remaining 1 cup onions, carrots, and celery; saute 4 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add taro, daikon, and shiitake mushrooms; saute 4 minutes.
- Transfer onion mixture and taro mixture to pot with beef.
- Simmer until beef is almost tender, about 40 minutes.
- Mix remaining 1 tablespoon butter and flour in small bowl until well combined.
- Whisk into stew.
- Simmer until beef is very tender and juices thicken, about 10 minutes longer.
- Season stew to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before continuing).
- Sprinkle stew with parsley and serve.