Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Found in Penzeys Fall 2006 catalogue. Great for cool days and for those who love stews.
Make and share this Beef Stew With Mustard Dumplings by Penzeys recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef stock (or 2 tsp beef soup base mixed in 2 cups of water)
- 2 turkish bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon beef roast seasoning
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch coins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1 teaspoon regular mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated white onion powder
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy stock pot.
- Roll the meat in the flour and shake off the excess.
- Brown the meat in the pot.
- While the meat is browning, mix the tomato sauce, beef stock, bay leaves, pepper, marjoram, salt, garlic, thyme, parsley, and beef roast seasoning together in a bowl.
- Once the meat has browned, arrange the onions and carrots over the meat.
- Add the stock.
- Partially cover the pot and simmer gently for about two hours.
- While the stew is simmering, make your dumpling dough.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Add the ground celery seed, mustard, parsley, and onion powder to the flour mixture.
- In a seperate bowl, add the milk to the beaten egg, then stir into the flour mixture.
- Add the melted butter and stir to blend.
- The dough should be soft not sticky.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/4" thickness.
- Cut dough with a very small ring cutter(a doughnut hole cutter works well).
- Once the stew has simmered for 2 hours, drop the dumplings into the stew, cover and simmer for 10 minutes and serve.