Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 8 hrs
The French Slow Cooker
Make and share this Beef Stew With Mushrooms, Rosemary and Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 1814.36 g boneless beef chuck, well trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 236.59 ml dry red wine
- 473.18 ml beef broth
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 236.59 ml chopped canned tomato
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 453.59 g white button mushrooms, quartered
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Pat beef dry with paper towels. In a bowl, combine flour with salt and pepper to taste. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and toss until lightly coated.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add beef in batches and cook until browned on all sides, about 20 minutes total. Place meat in a large slow cooker.
- Add onions to skillet and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and tomato paste. Add wine and cook, scraping the pan, until liquid comes to a simmer. Pour contents of skillet over meat. Add broth, carrots, tomatoes and herbs to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until beef is tender when pierced with a fork.
- When beef is almost ready, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir mushrooms into stew and discard bay leaf. Serve hot, sprinkled with parsley.