This recipe was printed in the "Cooking Light" magazine.
Make and share this Beef Stew with Cuban Coffee Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb boned rump roast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup no-salt-added beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup taro root or 1 cup potato
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup whole pitted dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup shredded chayotes or 1⁄2 cup yellow squash
- Trim fat from beef and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add beef and cook 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add coffee and next 4 ingredients (coffee through garlic) and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add taro, mushrooms, dates, and capers; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice; top with chayote.