1/1 Photo of Beef Stew With Cinnamon (Including Crock Pot Version)
3 hrs 10 mins
I have submitted this delicious stew both in its conventional, stove top form and adapted for my new toy - the crock pot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 bunch scallion, sliced thin (about 1 cup)
- 3 large celery ribs, chopped fine
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 (2 lb) can whole tomatoes with juice, chopped
- 1 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 3 carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 4 -6 small new potatoes, peeled, cut in half
- 1Heat oil over moderately-high heat and brown beef in batches, transferring to a bowl as it is browned.
- 2Pour off fat if desired.
- 3Return beef to kettle and stir in scallions, celery, bell pepper, tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, beef stock, Worcestershire Sauce, brown sugar, herbs and spices.
- 4Simmer, covered, 2 ½ hours.
- 5Add carrots and potatoes and simmer 30 minutes longer, or until they are tender.
- 6For Crock pot: Put browned beef and all remaining ingredients in crock pot.
- 7Give everything a stir and cook on low for 10-12 hours, adding more water or stock if stew appears too dry (probably not necessary).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stew With Cinnamon (Including Crock Pot Version)
Serving Size: 1 (612 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 889.7
- Calories from Fat 463
- Total Fat 51.4 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 151.9 mg
- Sodium 1259.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 19.5 g
- Protein 49.0 g