Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe came from a Gourmet Magazine years ago. I have continued to make it thru the years. It always seems to satisfy my family. I sometimes serve this over rice and sometimes with a side of mashed potatoes. Nice hearty meal. I find it easy to double the recipe and freeze half for an easy dinner another time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups tomatoes with juice, chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 carrots, sliced thin
- In a large pot heat oil. Add meat and sear on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- In pot pour off fat. Add onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic. Sautee about 3minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, wine, rosemary, thyme, oregano, cinnamon and redpepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Add meat to simmering sauce, reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer low for 2 hours.
- Add carrots and simmer 30minutes longer.