2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
In 'Braises and Stews' by Tori Ritchie
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs beef stew meat, preferably chuck, trimmed of excess fat
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups red wine, such as Pinot Noir
- 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth or 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1Cut the meat into 2-inch pieces, rinse, and pat dry with paper towels.
- 2Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 3Coat the bottom of a 5- to 7-quart Dutch oven with a thin film of the oil and set pot over med-high heat.
- 4When oil shimmers, add enough meat to cover bottom in 1 layer.
- 5Cook, without stirring, until meat lifts easily from pot with tongs and is well browned on bottom, about 5 minutes.
- 6Turn and brown on the other side, about 5 minutes more.
- 7Transfer meat to a plate and continue with remaining meat, adding more oil to pot on between batches as needed.
- 8When last batch of meat has been removed, add the butter to the pot, then the onions and a good pinch of salt, and cook, stirring often, until onions are softened, about 3 minutes.
- 9Decrease heat to low and sprinkle the sugar over the onions.
- 10Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are limp and golden, about 15 minutes.
- 11Stir in the flour and thyme and increase heat to high.
- 12Stir 1 minute, then pour in the wine and broth and let liquid come to a boil.
- 13Stir in the tomato paste.
- 14Return meat and any accumulate juices to pot, let liquid come to a boil, then decrease heat, cover, and simmer until meat is tender when pierced and sauce is thickened, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 15Remove from heat and let stand 5-10 minutes before serving to settle flavors.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stew With Caramelized Onions and Red Wine
Serving Size: 1 (358 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.9
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 155.3 mg
- Sodium 241.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 50.4 g