Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
In 'Braises and Stews' by Tori Ritchie
Make and share this Beef Stew With Caramelized Onions and Red Wine recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs beef stew meat, preferably chuck, trimmed of excess fat
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine, such as Pinot Noir
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium beef broth or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Cut the meat into 2-inch pieces, rinse, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Coat the bottom of a 5- to 7-quart Dutch oven with a thin film of the oil and set pot over med-high heat.
- When oil shimmers, add enough meat to cover bottom in 1 layer.
- Cook, without stirring, until meat lifts easily from pot with tongs and is well browned on bottom, about 5 minutes.
- Turn and brown on the other side, about 5 minutes more.
- Transfer meat to a plate and continue with remaining meat, adding more oil to pot on between batches as needed.
- When last batch of meat has been removed, add the butter to the pot, then the onions and a good pinch of salt, and cook, stirring often, until onions are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Decrease heat to low and sprinkle the sugar over the onions.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are limp and golden, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and thyme and increase heat to high.
- Stir 1 minute, then pour in the wine and broth and let liquid come to a boil.
- Stir in the tomato paste.
- Return meat and any accumulate juices to pot, let liquid come to a boil, then decrease heat, cover, and simmer until meat is tender when pierced and sauce is thickened, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5-10 minutes before serving to settle flavors.