5 hrs 25 mins
my kid's mom's Note:
Taken from Jessica Seinfeld's book "Deceptively Delicious"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into large chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 lbs boneless beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups low-sodium low-fat beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 large potato, any kind, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup broccoli, puree
- 1Toss the onion, carots, celery, and garlic into the food procesor and process until finely chopped, set aside.
- 2In a large zipper-lock bag or bowl, toss the beef with flour salt, and pepper until evenly coated.
- 3Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil, then add half of the beef and brown it onall sides for 3 to 4 minutes. Transger to a large pot. Cook the rest of the beef the same wa and add it to the pot.
- 4Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery, and garlic to the skillet, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 6 to 7 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add them to the pot.
- 5Add the beef broth, tomatoes and their juice, and the broccoli puree, cover, and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 4 hours. Add the potatoes and cook until the meat is very tender and begins to fall apart, 4 1/2 to 5 hours total.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stew (With Broccoli Puree)
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 682.9
- Calories from Fat 411
- Total Fat 45.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 177.0 mg
- Sodium 426.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 47.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium low-fat beef broth