Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Taken from Jessica Seinfeld's book "Deceptively Delicious"
Make and share this Beef Stew (With Broccoli Puree) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into large chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 lbs boneless beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups low-sodium low-fat beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 large potato, any kind, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup broccoli, puree
- Toss the onion, carots, celery, and garlic into the food procesor and process until finely chopped, set aside.
- In a large zipper-lock bag or bowl, toss the beef with flour salt, and pepper until evenly coated.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil, then add half of the beef and brown it onall sides for 3 to 4 minutes. Transger to a large pot. Cook the rest of the beef the same wa and add it to the pot.
- Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery, and garlic to the skillet, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 6 to 7 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add them to the pot.
- Add the beef broth, tomatoes and their juice, and the broccoli puree, cover, and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 4 hours. Add the potatoes and cook until the meat is very tender and begins to fall apart, 4 1/2 to 5 hours total.