This is my mother’s recipe. Simple but delicious! It tastes great with French fries or mashed potatoes and is great for the cold winter days!
- Peel the garlic and the onion and cut it in half rings.
- Heat up some olive oil in a large pot and brown the meat.
- Stir in the garlic and the onion and let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Warm up the beer and the broth and add it to the meat.
- Add the thyme, pepper & salt to taste.
- Let it all simmer with the lid on, for about 2 ½ hours until well done.
- Clean and cut the mushrooms in half and add them to the stew.
- Mix the cornstarch with a bit of cold water and thicken the stew to taste.
This taste alot like the stew I make but mine has veggies and no beer. So it was strange to not add them LOL I did have to add a bit more beer and broth as it was cooking but that could be a personal choice GREAT flavour and no one ingredient overpowers the other they just meld together beautifully. The meat was tender and the broth is dark and beefy.I served it over mashed potatoes This is going in my Divine recipes of 2009 Cookbook. Made for Prop It Up tag Feb 2009