Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This non-gravy stew recipe is a combination of many recipes, tailored to the flavours I like best. I hope you like it too!
- 680.38-907.18 g stewing beef, cubed
- 14.79 ml cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml barley
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml dried marjoram
- 2.46 ml dried rosemary
- 4.92 ml fresh-ground black peppercorns
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes
- 3-6 garlic cloves
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 3-4 carrots (if you have both, use 2 of each) or 3-4 parsnips, sliced (if you have both, use 2 of each)
- 1182.95 ml beef broth (2 beef bouillon cubes dissolved in 5 cups of water)
- fresh parsley, chopped
- paprika (optional)
- Brown meat with chopped onion in oil and transfer to 6 quart crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, and cook on LOW for 10 hours (HIGH for 6 hours).
- Season with salt if needed.
- Serve and garnish with fresh parsley and sprinkle with paprika if desired.
Thanks Nat! This is a really delicious stew. Thick and filling -leftovers were good too!
This dish was very nice. I didn't use the crock pot, but instead made it in my dutch oven and baked it in a 350 oven for 3 hours. I added the potatoes in at the last 30 minutes. I also only used 1/2 cup of barley, only because I felt 1 cup would have taken over and made it too thick. The leftovers did become a thicker stew though, which was till very tasty. :)
Absolutely DELICIOUS! 5 stars is not enough. On these blustery days in Western Washington this really hits the spot. I made this for my family because I wasn't going to be home to fix dinner and when left to his own devices DH would be feeding the children canned olives. When I got home that evening my husband and even my kids raved about it. What a wonderful, healthy and simple recipe. I am making it again tonight. Thank Nat for such a kick a$$ recipe.