This non-gravy stew recipe is a combination of many recipes, tailored to the flavours I like best. I hope you like it too!
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs stewing beef, cubed
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground black peppercorns
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 -6 garlic cloves
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 3 -4 carrots (if you have both, use 2 of each) or 3 -4 parsnips, sliced (if you have both, use 2 of each)
- 5 cups beef broth (2 beef bouillon cubes dissolved in 5 cups of water)
- fresh parsley, chopped
- paprika (optional)
- Brown meat with chopped onion in oil and transfer to 6 quart crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, and cook on LOW for 10 hours (HIGH for 6 hours).
- Season with salt if needed.
- Serve and garnish with fresh parsley and sprinkle with paprika if desired.