1/1 Photo of Beef Stew the Old Fashioned Way
2 hrs 45 mins
This is a from scratch, down home, richly flavored stew with no exotic ingredients. I've used blade steak, arm roast and chuck roast for this recipe. For the vegetables, I use a combination of fresh and what I have frozen from the previous season, but use what you have on hand. I'm adding a can of tomatoes as an option, though I don't use it. Also, I cook this from start to finish in my 5 quart stock pot. This is truly a base recipe that can be adapted to your family's like and dislikes. Feel free to make it your own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs defatted beef roast, cut in 3/4 in. chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large onion (about 2 cups, coarsely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3 (14 ounce) cans low sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce or 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf, broken in half
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 red potatoes, cut into 1 ' cubes (3-4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen butter beans
- 1 1/2 cups green beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes, drained (optional)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1Dry meat chunks and season with salt and pepper.
- 2Brown in olive oil, in 2 batches, remove from pot and set aside.
- 3Add onion, garlic and thyme to pot and lightly brown (Add more oil if necessary).
- 4Deglaze pot with red wine.
- 5To pot, add beef broth, hoisin or soy sauce and bay leaf.
- 6Cover pot and simmer about 2 hours or until meat is fork tender.
- 7Remove 1/4 cup of the broth and set aside.
- 8Add potatoes, carrots, butter beans, green beans, corn, peas and tomatoes if using.
- 9Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- 10Add cornstarch to reserved broth, mix with a fork an add to pot, stirring until thickened.
- 11Adjust seasonings to taste.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stew the Old Fashioned Way
Serving Size: 1 (393 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 552.1
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 78.3 mg
- Sodium 324.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 28.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium beef broth