Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
A compromise between stew and stroganoff recipes which can be frozen and reheated; no pure dairy items are used. From my food blog at: http://www.comfortcookadventures.com/2013/05/i-want-stew-he-wants-stroganoff.html
- 2 1⁄2 lbs top round roast, trimmed of fat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 large russet potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes, parboil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) bag frozen peas
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Set a 6 quart slow cooker (crock pot) on low; spray interior with nonstick spray. Mix the beef cubes with the flour; place inside the cooker. Layer the potatoes on top of the beef; spread the onions and peas next. In a medium bowl, mix together the soup, wine, mushrooms and black pepper; spread mixture evenly over top of all.
- Cook for 6 to 7 hours, until beef and potatoes are tender.