Recipe by Zewbiedoo
This is a version of beef stew that I sort of combined several recipes from others to come up with. Posting for safekeeping.
Top Review by girlygold21
This has to be the best beef stew recipe made with tomatoes. My family really enjoyed it and everyone had seconds, which is very rare in our household. Thank you, will make again!
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 1⁄4 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon bacon grease, or 1-2 slices cooked crumbled bacon (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil and oregano
- 1 (16 ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice (3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup dark red wine (cabernet, merlot, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into bitesize cubes (leave skin on)
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas, use more or less as desired
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pot (I use my 5qt cast iron dutch oven).
- Saute garlic and beef until beef is browned on all sides and some of the liquid, if any, has cooked down.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- You can add a little bacon grease or cooked crumbled bacon at this point if you like, for extra flavor.
- Add tomatoes, beef broth, V-8 juice, wine, red wine vinegar and seasonings; cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, peas and carrots and simmer 1/2 hour to 1 hour or until vegetables are tender but not mushy.
- In a small cup dissolve cornstarch in a little cold water and stir into stew to thicken.
- Taste and reseason as necessary; serve with biscuits or crusty homemade bread.