Recipe by bayoucritter aka. angela
My wayward adaption of POT AU FEU.Very versatile, filling and nutritious. Don't be afraid of the allspice! It goes great with the beef. I make this often. Tastes better than canned beefstew and you can be creative with it. Serve with a hearty loaf of bread n real butter:)
Top Review by Sue Tip
We loved this dinner! I made it with some variations; 1.5 lbs stew meat, 2 red potatoes, no turnips, garden green beans, 1 red onion, garden celery (so good!), no celery salt and 2 bay leafs. I added frozen peas at the beginning and they were fine.
- 2 -4 lbs stew meat (beef, pork)
- 10 potatoes, peeled & cut into large pieces
- 4 -5 turnips (optional) or 4 -5 parsnips, peeled & cut into large pieces (optional)
- 2 -3 onions
- 8 -10 carrots
- 2 -3 celery ribs
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 -2 fresh tomato, diced (optional)
- 8 ounces frozen peas
- 4 -6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 3 dashes cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon bay leaf powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In very large pot, place Stew Meat& cover with cold water.
- Bring to a slow boil.
- Skim top often until broth is clear of"junk".
- When broth has cleared, stir in all Seasonings, Tomato sauce& prepared Vegetables (except for Peas).
- Bring to a boil, stir& turn heat to lo-med.
- (Slow simmer).
- Stew will make its own thickening.
- Simmer 3-5hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- Stir in Peas about 1/2hr before serving.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.