Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A family favorite. This tastes best when made the night before so the flavors can meld.
- 12 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs boneless beef round steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups cubed cooked potatoes
- 3 cups sliced cooked carrots
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 pastries for pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a plastic bag, combine 6 tablespoons flour, salt and pepper.
- Add beef and shake to coat.
- In a skillet, saute beef in oil until browned.
- Add onion and garlic, cook and stir until onion is tender.
- Add 1/2 cup water, stirring to scrape browned bits.
- Combine 3 cups water, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and basil and stir into skillet.
- Add bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine remaining flour and water until smooth and gradually stir into skillet.
- Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Stir in potatoes, carrots and parsley.
- Transfer to a greased 4-qt. baking dish.
- On a floured surface, roll out pastry to fit dish.
- Place over filling and flute edges.
- Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
I love this recipe! I've made it several times and it's always a hit. The stew itself is very tasty but adding into a pie takes it to another level. Easy to prepare, but it does take a while. Plan ahead, you'll be happy you did.
We have made this several times and we always love it! It's a little time consuming...but SO worth it!