Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I love this recipe because I throw it together and forget about it. So delicious on a blustery and cold day. Not to mention the "welcome home" smell your house has because of it.
- 2 lbs stew meat, cut up
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut up
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 10 -15 boiling onions, peeled and left whole
- 2 (14 ounce) cansswanson beef broth
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cancampbell beef consomme
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- In crockpot, combine meat, all the seasoning, and all the vegetables.
- Pour in all cans of beef broths adding water if it's necessary (too strong beef flavor or more liquid) Stir gently, cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
- Then turn to high.
- Dissolve the cornstarch and the water in a small bowl.
- Stir into crockpot.
- Cook for 15 minutes more or until thickened.
- Don't forget to remove the bay leaf!
This is an easy and delicious stew. i made half a recipe and I love marjoram so much I used 1 teaspoon and left out the thyme..The mix of broth and comsomme made a rich beefy flavor and I added 1/2 a box of frozen peas. Thanks for sharing Pooh Bear. Made for PAC Spring 2010.
A really easy dish to make. I substituted some red wine for one of the cans of beef consomme to add a bit more depth of flavour. Thanks Pooh Bear for a really tasty dinner!