Recipe by Julia's Child
I came up with this easy and colorful beef stew recipe for my new crock pot. All you need is fresh beef, onions, potatoes, and carrots, and the rest can come from your pantry. For more richer flavor, I used French onion soup in place of beef broth and added the tomato paste for a little "sweetness" and the Worcestershire sauce for a little "bite."
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used Del Monte brand with basil, garlic, and oregano)
- 1 (6 ounce) can100% natural tomato paste (I used Hunt's brand)
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans French onion soup
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans sweet peas or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans green beans, drained
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 (16 ounce) bagmini peeled baby carrots, cut in half
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt & pepper, mix
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Toss beef in zip-lock bag with ¼ cup flour. Heat bottom of frying pan with oil. Sear beef in oiled frying pan until brown on outside.
- 2. Dab a paper towel with cooking oil and wipe bottom and sides of crock pot. Place beef in oiled crock pot. Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- 3. Cover and cook for 90 minutes on high; stir, then cook 4 hours on low.
- 4. Serve in bowls with corn bread or biscuits on the side.