Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe that I got from Leanne Ely's Menu Mailer cookbook but adapted to our likes. I make a big batch and freeze for later meals. This can be easily doubled or tripled. ***Potatoes are cooked separately. I found that they break down too much and don't freeze well when cooked in the stew. I put a little in each bowl when we eat the stew freshly made. For what I freeze, I put an appropriate amount in the freezer bag and top with the stew, seal and freeze.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 lb beef, cubed into bite size pieces
- 2 carrots or 12 baby carrots, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can green beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can peas
- 2 potatoes, cubed cooked separately
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium/high heat and sauté onions, garlic and celery till translucent.
- Add beef and carrots to onion mixture and continue to cook until meat is browned (sometimes I even skip this step if I am in a hurry).
- Add water, beef base, Mrs. Dash and salt and pepper taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer about 2 hours until the meat is nice and tender.
- Add canned vegetables and cook until heated through.
- Serve with dumplings or a nice roll.
- Extra stew can be frozen in a zippy bag.
- ***I slightly undercook the potatoes separately because I found that the potatoes held up better when I froze the stew.