Recipe by bert
This is surprisingly good despite the fact that it has canned gravy. You would never know it. I often add a couple of carrots on top of the potato so that I have a complete meal in one dish. Delicious with some nice crusty bread.
Top Review by Terri Newell
Very easy and tasty. I used a gravy mix in an envelope which we like. The whole dish came together quickly, and was given a thumbs up by all! We don't like veggies mixed into our stew, so this was perfect for us.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can mushroom beef gravy (or beef)
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄2 envelope dry onion soup mix (1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 4 medium potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- In heavy skillet, brown stew meat, (cut into cubes,) in 2 tbsp hot shortening; drain off excess fat.
- Add mushroom gravy, tomato juice, dry onion soup mix and horseradish.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Place 4 medium potatoes, pared and quartered in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole.
- Top with meat mixture.
- Bake, covered, at 350 for 1 1/2 hours or til meat and potatoes are tender, stirring once or twice during baking.