Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
This Beef Stew is even better than my mother's was. It was developed by my partner, Dean Ramsey. You can use venison instead of beef. If you have any questions, e-mail me: AlanLeonetti@q.com
- 3 1⁄2 lbs round steaks or 3 1⁄2 lbs stew meat or 3 1⁄2 lbs cubed venison
- 1 large onion
- 5 medium carrots
- 3 -4 medium potatoes (cut into wedges) or 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 cup mushroom (sliced)
- 4 (14 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Cube the round steak or venison into 1 1/2" cubes.
- Cut the onion into wedges.
- Slice the carrots crosswise into 1 1/2" pieces.
- Slice the mushrooms.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper.
- Coat the cubed steak well and brown both sides in the hot olive oil.
- In a large stew pot, add the tomatoes, water, rosemary, bay leaves and garlic powder.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add the onion, carrots, peas, lima beans, browned cubed steak and mushrooms.
- Continue to simmer for about 2 hours.
- Then add the wedges of potatoes or macaroni and continue simmering about 1 more hour, stirring occasionally.
- Check seasoning for salt and pepper and adjust if necessary.