Recipe by Tish
This is a hearty stew that sticks to the ribs and makes you want to have room for more! Yummy with a little garlic bread on the side.
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
There are alot of stew recipes out there but this one rates up there. I should also say that I'm not normally a fan of stews but I enjoyed this recipe. It had all the ingredients I like and I even added some finely chopped beets that I needed to use up. It added more flavour & a nice deep rice colour. I also amended for my electronic pressure cooker & it came out very tasty. What probably makes this recipe stand out is the addition of salsa. Very nice recipe, thanks for sharing.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean beef chuck, cut into 1-inch, cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained, coarsely chopped
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch, chunks
- 2⁄3 cup picante sauce (I use Pace)
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large zucchini, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Place meat on rack of broiler pan.
- Broil 4" from the heat until it is lightly browned, turning it once.
- Heat oil in large sauce pan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add meat, tomatoes, potato, picante sauce, basil, oregano, and if desired salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover, simmering until meat is tender about 1 hour.
- Stir in green pepper and zucchini and continue to simmer until vegetables are crisp tender, about 10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve with additional picante sauce.