Recipe by Saanen
I adapted this recipe from an Irish Stew recipe calling for lamb. It's easy to double or triple and is a very forgiving recipe for a new cook.
- 1 lb stewing beef, dredged in seasoned flour (I season with salt, pepper, and sometimes paprika)
- 1 onion, chopped
- garlic, minced
- 2 -3 carrots, chopped
- 2 -3 potatoes or 2 -3 turnips, chopped
- dried thyme
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the beef with the onion, then add water to cover and the garlic.
- (I generally use 2 cloves.) Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for at least an hour.
- Add carrots, potatoes/turnips, one or two tsp of thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer covered until vegetables are tender.
- Add a little flour or other thickener (I reserve a little of the seasoned flour to use), bring to a boil, and set aside to cool a bit before serving.