Recipe by red0313
My children call this Beef Stew, but it's more hearty than a stew. The longer the liquid cooks off, the more hearty it gets.
- 3 beef shanks, bone in
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 button mushrooms, cut up
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
Directions See How It's Made
- Place every ingredient into a large stock pot. Turn heat on stove top to low/medium low heat.
- Cover and let simmer for at least 5 hours.
- Once simmered for at least 5 hours, remove bones from pot. Make sure to leave the marrow from the bones in the pot.
- Use a pair of tongs or fork to shred the tenderized meat.
- Leave uncovered and turn heat up to medium-high. Let it cook off the excess liquid and reduce down to desired liquid level. This usually takes 30-45 minutes.
- Once desired liquid is cooked off, serve over mashed potatoes or in a bread bowl.