Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the recipe from Ball for Beef Stew that may be pressure canned (http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipe.aspx?r=68)
- 2267.96 g beef stew meat
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 2839.08 ml potatoes, cubed and peeled (about 12 medium)
- 1892.72 ml carrots, sliced (about 16 small)
- 709.77 ml celery, chopped (about 5 stalks)
- 709.77 ml onions, chopped (about 4 small)
- 22.18 ml salt
- 4.92 ml thyme
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 3784.0 ml water (approximate)
- 1.) PREPARE pressure canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- 2.) BROWN meat in oil in a large saucepot. Add vegetables and seasonings to browned meat. Cover with boiling water. Bring stew to a boil. Remove from heat.
- 3.) LADLE hot stew into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- 4.) PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 1 hour and 15 minutes for pints and 1 hour and 30 minutes for quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.