2 hrs 20 mins
Mary Leverington's Note:
Does the world need another beef stew recipe? Well, I think so. I like to try other recipes for beef stew. For me, it is the ultimate comfort food, but I really think mine is best, all modesty aside, AND it is soooo simple--nothing fancy. Try mine and let me know. You can add beef broth if you want, but if you brown the beef properly, you won't need any. Trust me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2-2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 small onions, peeled
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 -4 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks (optional)
- 1 cup frozen peas or 1 cup mixed vegetables (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- water, to cover
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1Dust beef cubes in flour, salt and pepper in a paper or plastic bag.
- 2Shake off excess.
- 3Heat oil in a heavy dutch oven or frying pan on high until the surface of the oil starts to shimmer, but before it starts to smoke.
- 4Depending on the size of the pan, brown the beef evenly on high in batches.
- 5Don't crowd the cubes.
- 6Keep an eye on this so that it doesn't burn.
- 7You just want to sear the beef.
- 8Remove the pan from the burner and add the onions, carrots, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce (if you're going to use it) and enough water to almost cover everything.
- 9Return to burner and bring to a boil.
- 10Cover and reduce heat to medium low--just hot enough to keep a slow simmer going.
- 11Simmer for about an hour or until everything is almost done.
- 12Put in the potatoes at this point and any additional water you think the stew needs.
- 13Continue to simmer for another half hour or until the potatoes are just done.
- 14Just prior to serving, check for seasonings and add more salt and pepper, more Worcestershire, if needed.
- 15Toss in the peas or mixed vegetables and cook for five minutes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (499 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.9
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 72.5 mg
- Sodium 560.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 32.5 g