Perfect for slow cooker. Start in the morning and when you get home from work, dinner is waiting for you.
- Peel potatoes and slice into cubes.
- Peel carrots and slice into bite-size chunks.
- Dice onion.
- Place in slow cooker/crock pot in that order.
- Add other ingredients also in order listed.
- Fill crock pot with water leaving an inch or so for steam to build at the top.
- Cook on low setting for eight hours (Sometimes I omit the potatoes and serve the stew atop homemade baked potatoes using the liquid as a gravy for all the veggies).
The best beef stew I have ever had. My kids are fussy so I put the onion in whole and took it out when the stew was ready.
Wonderful! I made this tonight and sad to say it is much better than my recipe. Maybe it's the bay leaves? I added a can of un-drained diced tomatoes instead of soup, because I love tomatoes. I cooked this in the crock pot on low for 8 hours. This will be the only stew I ever make from now on. Thank you very much!
This is the way mama used to make it. The tomato soup add a great flavor that I remember well. I hadn't thought about adding wine to it. I'll have to try that.