1/2 Photos of Beef Stew
5 hrs 45 mins
Mainely Debbie's Note:
This is the recipe I grew up with. It is a very basic comfort meal. I added the prime rib bone because I had it and thought I would use it up so I just threw it in the stockpot. This makes a lot but you can reduce it very easily. My family loves it when I make this. The key to this recipe is to cook it for a long time on low until the meat is fork tender and the fresh vegetables are cooked through, if you serve it before the meat and vegetables are ready the meat will be tough and the vegetables hard. Another key to this recipe is to use fresh vegetables which really add flavor. I like my stew to be on the thick side and not like a soup, you can make it as thick or thin as you want by adjusting the flour.
My Private Note
Large s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs stew meat, boneless chuck cut in cubes
- 2 lbs fresh baby carrots, cut in half crosswise
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, snap in 1 inch length
- 2 lbs potatoes, peel and cube
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 cups water
- 16 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 prime rib roast, bone already cooked (optional) or 2 beef short ribs (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can peas, drained (optional)
- 1In a gallon size zip lock bag mix flour, salt and pepper.
- 2Toss the stew meat in batches in flour mixture and put aside until all of the meat has been coated.
- 3In a very large stock pot put about 1/4 cup oil and heat on medium high until hot.
- 4I do 3 batches of meat, add to the oil the floured stew meat and turn heat to medium, fry until oil is absorbed by the meat, don't worry if the meat looks mushy, that is the way it is supposed to look. Remove the first 2 batches of meat and put aside.
- 5Leave the 3rd batch in the pan and after cooking add the water and beef granules and let it cook about 15 minutes to give the broth time to thicken up, this is the time I add more flour 1/4 cup at a time to thicken it to the way I like it, just sprinkle flour and stir to mix, don't worry it will break down during cooking.
- 6Add the vegetables, bay leaves as well as prime rib bone or short ribs.
- 7Adjust your seasoning to the way you like it.
- 8Simmer for about 6 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, DO NOT COVER THE PAN.
- 9Add the can of peas just before serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (1054 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1433.0
- Calories from Fat 782
- Total Fat 86.9 g
- Saturated Fat 29.3 g
- Cholesterol 227.9 mg
- Sodium 601.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 73.8 g