Recipe by Dancer^
This also can be made in a crockpot. I add different veggies, cubed squash, and 1/2 can baby peas, just added the peas the last 5 minutes of cooking. This is great on a cold winters day. Enjoy!
Top Review by M. Joan
My husband took one bite and said, "this is delicious!" I fully agree. I only had canned mushrooms on hand but will use fresh next time. I added a 1/2 cup of cream sherry. The wine is definitely a great addition. I did add the carrots and mushrooms early and later threw in a few frozen peas with the potatoes.
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs beef chuck, cut in -1
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup coarse onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (21 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 6 small potatoes, halved
- 6 medium carrots, cut in large slices
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 1 lb mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup red wine or 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour and pepper; coat beef cubes.
- Reserve remaining flour mixture. In 3 tablespoons of hot oil, brown beef, and remove when brown.
- Sauté onion, celery and garlic until tender.
- Return beef to pan.
- Add beef, broth, wine and spices.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce to simmer, cover and continue cooking for 1-3/4 hours.
- Add remaining vegetables and cook covered another 45 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender, but not mushy.
- Thicken broth if necessary with 2 tablespoons of the flour mixed with 2 tablespoons water.
- Simmer until thick.