Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 mins
- 6 lbs beef ribs (look for the really meaty ones)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- salt and fresh pepper, ground
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, crushed (Jar type is ok)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon marjoram, ground
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups baby red potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 (2 lb) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Brown meat in oil in a large skillet. In a crockpot add enough water to cover ribs( note the store will cut them in half if you ask them to) Place the ribs in the crockpot before you go to bed with all the spices and cook all night on low.
- In the morning pull out the ribs and pull off the meat and chop up and then return to the crock..
- Add the rest of the stuff and let it cook all day on low.
- Make sure there is enough water to cover everything.
- A nice loaf of fresh Italian bread will work nicely with this.
- using the ribs take a little more work but the taste is so much more than using beef cubes....
you're right about the ribs, the bones make such a difference. Good recipe, the mixed vegs are good in a pinch.