Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Great if you are on a diet.
- 1 lb lean beef chuck, trimmed and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium tomato paste
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 2 medium russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups green beans, 1in . pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Coat beef with flour, shaking off excess. In a large nonstick pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; saute until browned, about 6 minutes. Place on a plate.
- Add onions and mushrooms to pot; saute for 6 minutes. Add garlic; saute, stirring for 1 minute. Pour off fat. Return beef to pot; stir in tomato paste, then broth. Add enough water to just cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer until beef is tender, about 1 1/4 hours. Skim off any foam.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and green beans. Cover partially; simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into stew. Increase heat and boil uncovered for 1 minute. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.